-->

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Missoni, Mermaids & Me.

 Hi everyone, I hope you all had a fab weekend! I'm sure many of know that I'm as blind as a bat, and have to wear glasses daily to see the majority of things (computer, tv, bus numbers etc). I've had terrible eyesight since childhood, due to an unfortunate accident and dodgy-sight genes. I crawled into a cigarette someone was holding when I was a toddler. My left eye is permanently damaged due to the accident, so my sight in that eye is even worse than the other eye, even though I wore a patch for a huge chunk of my early years! I started wearing prescription glasses when I was around 15, and ever since I've had to attend eye tests in Specsavers and renew my prescription and frames annually. I attempted to try contact lenses last year, but my body has an inbuilt defensive mechanism that won't allow anything or anyone near my eyes, because of the cigarette incident (I can't even use lash curlers)! My contact lenses attempt was a massive fail, and won't ever be an option for me unfortunately. My eye sight is still changing, but less and less every year. I was contacted by the PR company that work with Specsavers, and I was offered a complimentary eye test and pair of glasses of my choice to review. Of course, I jumped at the chance - it was perfect timing, as I was due an eye test and stronger lenses anyway.
I attended an eye test on Friday, in Specsavers on Grafton Street - the opticians I've gone to since I was around 5/6. I'm well used to it all at this stage; the staff are extremely friendly and the appointments fly by. The glasses usually take one or two days for the opticians to add your required lenses to the frames and match them to your measurements. I chose new Missoni frames* from the store, that were €189. This pair caught my eye immediately, as they're quite 1950's-inspired yet still modern with detailing on the inside of the frames. I believe glasses are something you can spend an extra few bob on without feeling guilty; I wear mine daily, I like feeling confident wearing my specs and enjoy wearing them as an accessory with my outfits. Today was my first day wearing the Missoni frames properly and I'm absolutely thrilled! They suit my style and face shape, and are definitely a pair I won't be embarrassed wearing out.
My outfit today consisted of a vintage blouse* from 9 Crow Street, American Apparel Disco Pants and this wonderful mermaid necklace* from I Love Crafty. Isn't she sweet? ILC have a range of handmade jewellery on their site - their collections range from I'm Really A Mermaid, Modern Romance and Feline Fatale. For £20, the necklace is a unique and beautiful gift for yourself or someone special.

44 comments:

  1. i wear glasses daily as well! i recently invested in some ones by tom ford and now (like you) i am not embarrassed to go out in them :) lovely glasses by the way and i love the mermaid necklace xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I love the mermaid necklace! It's amazing :D I really like your glasses too and the pictures are sooo pretty :)

    Great post!

    XO
    scribblesofvalerie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want that necklace it is too cool!!! I'm glad I've met another mermaid obssessive!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha That necklace is fab!
    And I have to say you are looking particularly stunning in the top picture :)

    - Danielle. http://thesweetnesstalks.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. you look absolutely gorgeous in those glasses!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You suit those glasses so much! Sounds like a horrible accident:(
    Love the necklace! good post, hope you have a great week:D xo

    Shabby Chic and Tea♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. These glassses are so gorgeous on you. What a horrible accident. Do you remember it at all?

    Becky
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. That necklace is the cutest thing.
    You really suit the new glasses too!

    lisatakespictures xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. The glasses look fab on you...Plus now that you can see it's a massive bonus! ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. your glasses are amazing!! i love them! :) i used to have glasses too - but got laser eye surgery over a year ago now!
    xxx
    http://eleanorcos.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the new glasses they really suit you! And that necklace is ADORABLE! I need it in my life!

    Cat - whatcatsays.blogspot.co.uk - XO

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those glasses suit you so much, they're gorgeous on you! I wear glasses in college for seeing the blackboard but I can get away with not wearing them when I'm not in college, thankfully. But my current pair are so old now I really need a new pair! I'd love to get something like those, they're so cute xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I seen you post this picture on Instagram I couldn't believe how much they suited you! You look amazing in them!

    http://thumbelinalillie.com
    Megan xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. The glasses are fab!
    I wear thick black frames too and actually love wearing them compared to the horrors I used to have to wear,

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  15. You look stunning Leanne! They really really suit you, I could never pull off glasses

    http://iamncxo.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  16. You look so pretty! I love the glasses, is it sad that I kind of wish I had bad eye sight just to wear these? haha x
    graciousghost.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE the glasses Leanne. I wear specs on a daily basis, rayban wayfarer's and get asked all the time if their real(as in perscription) so get ready for a constant flow of the same! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have to wear glasses all the time too. I actually had no idea you wore glasses! Those ones are absolutely beautiful, you're right, they do suit you so well. I'm due an eye test but I can't afford to get new glasses at the moment unfortunately.

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. They suit you and your personality soo wel :) Love them :) Love the necklace too. Very different.

    Pipp xx
    http://pippjones281190.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing glasses, they really suit you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those look so good on you! <3

    http://andini-ria.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. they look amazing on you! and love your lip color what shade?

    ReplyDelete
  23. You look super cute! Your frames remind me of Marilyn Monroe in 'How to marry a millionaire'.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You look gorgeous!!! I love the lip color, your glasses fit your perfectly and your necklace is so cute!!

    fashionqueen294.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. love your style as always and the glasses look greta. I've been wearing contact lenses for about 13 years and my eyes are getting so tired of it I often wear glasses now. I also went to specsavers and got an amazing deal on an armani pair...actually I think I'm gonna blog about it now so thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my gosh, I need these beauties!! They look amazing on you!! I have worn glasses since I was 16, and had everything from Chanel to Rayban but oh my gosh these are beautiful! xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. now i want to be able to wear classes. these are stunning! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the necklace so much, it is so pretty and cool! The glasses look really great on you too! xxx
    http://unstitchedd.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  29. OMG to your glasses, is all I have to say. I have really bad eyesight as well and it's hard for me to find glasses that I think make me look attractive. I really hope the eye shop I go to has something similar to those my next visit :)

    http://youngblackcuriosity.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is so stunning! I'm craving that lipstick now and i almost wiah i wore glasses xx

    http://facelesssfashion.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gorgeous outfit, gorgeous glasses and gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Call me masochistic but I always wanted to wear glasses. They make me feel more astute...your glasses make me want them more.

    Also wouldn't mind that lipstick either. x

    ReplyDelete
  33. Those are pretty much perfect - I'm loving mine at the mo, they're just RayBan wayfarer style, but I figure I'll be able to wear them for a while xo

    ReplyDelete
  34. You look fabulous! I need a new pair of glasses too - I hope I find something as fitting as yours are!
    hugs
    Ko-Shin
    http://www.diamondlifeandstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. ehmmmmmmm I love them they look great on you. I have a pair of Missoni glasses myself, I love all their frames. And the signature Missoni print on the inside is great.

    legsxi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. so cute:)
    http://onestylejunkie.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  37. I'm meant to wear glasses daily but I hate the way I look in them and can't find any that suit me, I also hate things near my eyes so contacts aren't an option, do you have any advice in choosing glasses??

    ReplyDelete
  38. those glasses are so cute!x

    http://s-kinnyjeans.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love the glasses! I wear some oversized Karen Millen frames from Specsavers. Geek Sheek!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Do these glasses fall down your nose? I might be buying a pair but the wide nose bridge scares me off a bit. I usually wear 16mm nose bridge (these are 19mm) and still that makes my glasses slide down:(

    ReplyDelete
  41. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment..