-->

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

MAC NW10 Studio Fix Fluid Foundation | Review

I picked up MAC's new NW10 Studio Fix Fluid Foundation release, the minute it came out a month or two ago. They've never offered a foundation or concealer pale enough for me before, and the previous lightest shade, NC15, was far too dark and yellow for my skintone. I was dying to head in and swatch this foundation; finding pale foundation is beyond difficult, so finding one that matches my skintone is genuinely so exciting! I was over the moon when I saw it matched; yellow-toned, but not too yellow. Pale enough, and fantastic coverage! I bought it instantly - it was around €32 for the foundation, and I had to pay an extra fiver for the pump (not impressed).
After using this foundation for a while now, I have a feeling that it'll become my go-to for the next few years. It was the second MAC foundation I've ever tried - my first was a compact foundation when I was 13; I was matched to an NC25 which is hilarious! I probably looked like a total Oompa Loompa walking around. MAC foundations don't get the best rep, let's be honest - I was anxious to see how it would work with my skin. I was so surprised to find how much I loved it, and I've been wearing it daily since I purchased it. My Make Up For Ever foundations have been abandoned! 
If you like light, dewy foundations, you'll dislike this. If you're like me, and like medium-heavy coverage, you'll love it! I usually use 3 pumps on my entire face, buffing it in with a regular foundation brush or mini stippling brush. The coverage is buildable, so you can leave it at a medium coverage or pack it on if you're having extra trouble with your skin or if you're heading on a night out. It can look a slightly bit too dark/ yellow when swatched on the hand or first applied to the face initially, but it blends in extremely well and matches my milk-bottle skin to a T.
The only downsides to the foundation are the smell, although you do get used to it. It smells quite chemically - I can see where the "paint stripper" descriptions come in for MAC foundations now! I don't even notice it at all anymore though. The second downside is that it can sometimes separate on the T-Zone (especially around the nose). I have oily-combination skin, so I use a primer all over my T-Zone to prevent makeup from moving and disappearing. Regardless of what primer I use (Clarins, Benefit, Smashbox etc), it can separate and look "scaly". It's quite easy to fix though with a dab of some concealer and powder. 
I adore the coverage of this foundation, the shade, how it has SPF 15 and just how fantastic it is overall. It lasts all day on my skin, apart from the T-Zone patchiness but that's easy to fix. I highly recommend trying this if you're as pale as me, and like a good coverage foundation. It's 100% worth the  money, and I do suggest buying the pump as the lid can get grubby and messy. The girls in MAC on Grafton Street and BT2 Dundrum are all extremely friendly and helpful, so go in and ask about it and try it on! I really hope MAC continue to bring out lighter (and darker) foundation and concealer shades in the future.

Do you use MAC foundations? What do you think of them?

42 comments:

  1. A shame to admit - but I've never used anything from MAC, or atleast not something that I own myself. I'm really curious for this foundation!

    Great post!

    XO
    scribblesofvalerie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leanne,

    It'd be great if you could do an application VLOG. I'd love to check out it's coverage.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't be recording another foundation routine video until after my operation, sorry!

      Delete
  3. NC25!!!? Bahaha what were they at!! I have the NW15 at the mo and really like it. I think my exact shade would be NW 12 though!! Might see if I can try this on though as I prefer my foundations to be paler rather than slightly darker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do NW13, so that might work well for you!

      Delete
  4. I think I will try this too,
    I use NW15, which is perfect for the summer, but in the winter I get super-pale, and it´s slightly too dark for me.

    Deffo gonna try this one, thanks for the great review, Leanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have enough pennies to buy MAC right now, I've only ever tried two of the lipsticks, but I'm always on the hunt for a foundation pale enough for my Casper skin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to wear their studio sculpt foundation but found that it was a little too heavy and made my already oily skin look shiny over time. I'd love to try this one, thanks for the review!

    http://andini-ria.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks lovely, I really struggle to find pale enough foundation shades for my ridiculously pale skin! haha great review

    Georgia x
    Georgiabeee.blogspot.co.uk | Twitter | facebook
    Enter my Giveaway here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My friend has this (not sure of the shade) and I'm forever borrowing it off her! I really have to just invest in my own one some day. Might wait till the next time I'm flying somewhere because I don't want to spend over €30 on a foundation and then run the risk of not liking it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cannot wait to pick up NW10 at last I won't need to fake tan to match my NC15!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really wanted to try the Studio Fix foundation but I've heard it's made a few people look a bit 'cakey' due to the coverage. I suppose if it's medium-buildable that's okay though! It's great that they've designed a lighter shade, I was just a NC15! Great review, would love to try this product.

    http://thumbelinalillie.com
    Megan xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really want to try out a MAC foundation, you make them sound as if they're really good :)

    www.j4miejohnston.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bobbi Brown have wonderful pale skin foundation - shade Alabaster :) I'm extemely pale (NW15 made me look orange..) and it suits me perfectly. It's worth a look.

    http://glitterisedfingersandeyes.blogspot.ie

    x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was matched to NW20 years ago, I probably looked so orange haha! I might have to give MAC foundations another go after reading this :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad they've done this! I'm a NW20 in all of Mac Foundations, except stuido fix for some reason as it runs so orange. Really happy about this as I actually love the foundation :') xx

    Abby || Beauty and a Blogger

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really great review! I'm not a huge fan of MAC foundations - used to wear them all the time. I like something a little lighter now xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome review, and I know exactly what you mean about it being difficult to find pale foundation! Sometimes I simply resort to a little bit of fake tan, just to match my foundation, it's so sad :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. So tempted to get this, had so many rubbish foundations. I am as pale as you I know it's quite difficult to get colour matched correctly!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds really nice but I prefer more dewy foundations so I don;t think that this is the one for me! xxx
    http://unstitchedd.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Always wanted to try out a MAC foundation and I too have ridiculously pale skin, but I prefer a light/medium dewy finish though so I don't think this one would work for me unfortunately. Glad it works for you though! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This foundation sounds perfect for me! I always have problems to find a really light one, just like you and I'm not satisfied with the one I'm using right now. Maybe I will try this one :)

    Spark&Bark

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just bought this foundation and I have to say that I love it! I know what you mean about it separating around the t zone, it's quite annoying but I love everything else so I think I'll stick with it xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. what is your favourite foundation for you skin type! mine is similar and could do with some reccomendations!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Really great review Leanne!
    I bought this last week after wanting it for so long and I absolutely love it, I think a little of it goes a long way but I definitely agree with you on the smell. I can smell it on my face throughout the day.. :| xo

    http://iamncxo.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is brilliant! I didn't even know a lighter shade had been released. I tried NC15 a while ago and really liked the foundation but didn't purchase it again because it was a little too dark. I didn't think I'd ever buy a MAC foundation again but I'll definitely try this! Thanks :) x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yeah NC15 was yellow on me too, and I didn't like the consistency or smell but still wore it for around 4 years, fell into a bit of a mac trap.Gosh in porcelain is the only one I use now, or the hot pink skin 79 if it's just everyday/

    Still working through to find some good foundations for my kit-I've heard good things about royal effem, going to pick some up at professional beauty on the 4th. Skin types are a pain in the bum, match the wrong foundation to a persons skin and the make up just doesn't look right. If it's looking scaley on you then I think it's just not quite right for your skin type.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This NW10 looks darker than my NW15 studio sculpt!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sounds like a lot more positives that negatives, really want to try it!

    A little bit Unique

    x

    Oh and I'm running a giveaway, if you want to pop over and have a nosey! Click here


    ReplyDelete
  28. I trained with MAC products so have always used their foundations in my kit and people seem to love them but NC15 was a little bit too dark for anyone that wasnt wearing fake tan. So I had to mix other foundations to achieve the colour.
    What I have since found by reading reviews and blogs is that Revlon 24hr Colourstay for combination to oily skin is lovely with great coverage and feels lovely and light on your skin and isn't nearly as expensive as the MAC. The lightest shade in it is my colour and I am VERY pale. Its worth a try. :)

    Great post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to use Revlon's ColourStay and the lightest shade was still to dark for me! Good foundation, but just a slight bit too dark. Probably the equivalent of MAC's NW13!

      Delete
    2. I was just away on holidays so I have a bit of colour on my face and didn't start using it until I came back so when my tan fades it will probably be too dark. :( I have picked up some NW13 and NW10 have an interview tomorrow and cant wait to use them. :) Haven't stopped using the collection concealer since I saw it in your foundation routine. Its now a key item in my kit in all shades. Thank you so much for the great reviews. You are an idol. :)

      Delete
  29. I never thought to look towards mac for foundation, especially for light skin, but reading this has made me determined to go out and buy some! Thankyouuuu great post

    ReplyDelete
  30. I was soo excited to hear this was coming out, Bu ti was hoping it would be less dewy and more matte because their other foundations are dewy too, However I so up for giving it a go and seeing what the fuss is about because I love mac.

    Pipp xx
    http://pippjones281190.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  31. glad you're loving it, have a mac one which (predictably) is way too orange for my face so constantly having to mix it with another. Chanel do some really pale ones and they're only a little bit more than the mac ones so maybe try them out?! xxoxoxo

    http://fashionplaytime.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chanel foundations are always farrrr too dark for me, by about 3/4 shades - unfortunately!

      Delete
  32. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  34. When I found out about this shade coming out I knew I had to try it out! I am literally the palest person I know of and find it so hard to match to foundation. Sadly, NW10 was still too dark for me (but only by a small bit). I guess it would suffice but I am currently using Illamasqua Skin Base in 02, a better match for me and it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm really glad they've made a lighter foundation- I know what you mean about it separate on the T-Zone, that's my main bug bear with MAC foundations. x

    January Girl ♥ Nails Inc + Eylure Giveaway ♥

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh my god, this makes me so happy, i've been using NC15 studio fix fluid for ages but it's slightly too dark for me so i think NW10 will be perfect! Will definitely be purchasing!x

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment..