-->

Friday, August 3, 2012

YSL Rouge Volupté No. 15 Lipstick - Review

 Morning all, and Happy Friday - yay! It pains me to bring you all this review, as it won't be a good one at all at all. I decided to treat myself to a YSL lipstick a few weeks ago, after lusting over them for aaages. It was my first YSL beauty buy, and I spent ages picking and choosing between colours at the counter. I eventually chose this gorgeous red-orange coral shade, No 15, from the Rouge Volupté range. I particularly adored the packaging on the lipstick, as it's so classy and luxurious looking. The colour of the lipstick itself is behind the logo also, so I thought it'd be easy to spot amongst my other lipsticks.
I nearly collapsed when the woman at the till told me it was €30* (the exact price has escaped me, but it's somewhere between the €30-35 mark). However, I said I'd treat myself to a little piece of luxury. I expected this lipstick to be my new favourite, something I'd apply daily and repurchase again and again. Unfortunately, I was wrong! This lipstick has been one of the most disappointing beauty buys for me of the year. Yes, the colour is stunning. The packaging is gorgeous. It has SPF 15, wonderful! It smells DELICIOUS. The lipstick itself? Crap. 
When you first apply the lipstick it appears opaque, it's quite conditioning and it's easy to strengthen to a bold bright or to smudge down to a stain. This is all fabulous, until you apply this lipstick for the tenth time in one day. The lasting power of this product is horrendous, it fades off within minutes. Paying over €30 for product that can't even last long on my lips infuriates me. What's even worse is, the colour on the centre of the lips completely goes first, leaving a horrible clown-ish lip line of colour surrounding the lips. I don't even have to reapply my €1.50 ELF lipsticks that often! With the amount of times I have to reapply this, it'll be gone within months.
I plan on wearing this again, obviously. I highly doubt I'll repurchase it however. I was SO excited to pick up my first YSL lippy and to be so disappointed by my first one is such a let-down. I'm afraid to splurge on another shade in case this happens again! I rarely have problems with lipsticks, and the fact that this one was so expensive has just deflated me. Thumbs down!

Have you ever tried YSL lipsticks, what did you think of them?

26 comments:

  1. That's so unfortunate. I've heard all good things about YSL lipsticks and how amazing they are. Whether it was just the shade you picked or not, spending so much money on a dud sucks.
    I'm yet to find a lipstick myself that I think has amazing lasting power as well as pigmentation!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe that it doesn't last. Like you said, you expect a certain higher standard of quality when products are such a high price! It looks so gorgeous too, what a shame! I've never tried a YSL one and I don't think that I will be now! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really gutting when you pay so much for a product and it ends up being rubbish! The packaging really is gorgeous though, I feel like that's part of the reason why it's so highly priced x

    www.paintpotted.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the packaging! but talk about overpriced!! that's disappointing, I thought YSL lippys were meant to be good:(
    xxx

    http://eabhaa.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only ever heard good things about YSL that must be so annoying, i can understand why you're gutted. Lovely colour choice though :)

    sophierosehearts.blogspot.co.uk

    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That happened me with Mac's Hue. I heard such great things about it online and decided to buy it. Being 15, I have limited money so this was a bit splurge for me. I was so excited and I applied it when I got home. I left it on for about an hour and went back a checked it in the mirror. It was gone. I was so gutted because I expected such great things! :(

    unknownailleacht.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. that sucks... :/ I hate it when that happens with normal priced lipstick, let alone high end!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's unbelieveable! My friend has a YSL lipstick and loves it, although its not a chance I'll be taking!

    misskirstymarie.blogspot.co.uk
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's such a shame!If the're going to be charging you that much then they should be giving you good quality products.I've looked at buying a YSL lipstick a few times but this really makes me think twice! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This drives me mad. I don't know why companies think they can get away with selling stuff that doesn't last and charging that price for it! Brands like this are such a treat, they are doing themselves no favours. Shame, because it's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so annoying! The colour is stunning, but obviously it's not even worth it. I haven't tried any YSL lipsticks yet. I wonder if they're all like that or maybe it's just that one?

    <3
    http://nicolealexandrasbloggity.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. The colour looks so lovely, I really wanted to try a ysl lipstick! It's a shame about the staying power, have you tried applying lipcote over the top?xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's awful! I have a YSL lipstick and love it! The sheer volupte ones are lovely too- they're quite like Revlon Lip Butters :)

    Emily x


    http://emilyx0.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's terrible, you would expect an expensive and such a hyped up brand to be great quality and nothing less.

    http://couture-street.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Take it back! People are always taking things back to YSL, it happened all the time when I worked there. All of their lipsticks are shit. I once wore a Rouge Pur Couture one in work and it bled out within an hour and I had to last 8 hours looking like a dick. I'd maybe ask if you can exchange it for one of the glossy stains as they are so much better and actually stay in place (once you line your lips). Raging for you as you paid so much.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ah thats a pity, i would be raging if i paid that much for something i expected to be luxurious and amazing, if i were u i would demand my money back and buy a chanel one..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Leanne,
    maybe you could try this;

    http://thebeautydepartment.com/2012/07/lipstick-longevity/#more-6988

    it's a how to from The Beauty Department on making your lipstick last longer, I just found it and thought of you. I haven't tried it myself but I'm planning on giving it a go tomorrow. Maybe it will be of help to you!

    Anyway, love your blog!

    Bró xxoo
    http://glamourandgrungefashion.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh god that is really surprising, you'd think for a lipstick that's so expensive would tick all the boxes. I've heard that they go down really quickly as well (from one of zoella's videos)but I've never splurged on one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would take it back! That's horrid it didn't last, go back and either exchange it or get your money back!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Its €31.50. I have number 29 and i love it. Maybe you got a dud? I usually get 4+ hours out of it?!

    ReplyDelete
  21. the lipstick looks so pretty but if its bad take it back its not worth that much money take it back and get something you know you will love :)xoxo
    http://makeupbyelysa.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  22. I agree with you. I was sooo excited about it! As you said it just doesn't stay on my lips and it goes in any crease I have. Well it looks like it will be just a decoration in my room after I use all of it. :)x

    ReplyDelete
  23. God, thats a bummer. I was thinking of Investing in a YSL lipstick-glad I read this!
    Have you ever tried the Miss Sporty lipsticks? They're really good!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have this in a different shade and its the exact same, so it's not just the shade you have! So disappointing considering to high price!

    Zara
    x

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment..